<Ned> Front Porch: How to Enter Your Location
This feature that allows ned.com members to find others who live close by. You can enter your own general location home location via postal (zip) code.
The more people that use it, the more powerful it is - so here's your chance to join in. It takes only a minute.
- Click on the "settings" link in the right side of the green bar at the top of the window.
- Select "Edit my Profile"
- Fill in the Location box "for example: "San Francisco, California"
- Scroll down and click the green link that reads "Look up your lat/long."
- Scroll down the new window and select your country's link, fill in your postal (zip) code and hit return.
- Cut and paste the number on the left into the Latitude box and the one on the right into Longitude box. If you live in the western hemisphere, don't forget to include the minus sign "-" before the longitude number.
- Scroll to the bottom and hit Save and you're done.
Now you can see others close or not so close to you. Click on the People tab on the green bar at the top of th e screen and select the "near me" tab on the brown bar below. You can also see how near a member is when you open their profile -- assuming they have entered their location of course.
Also, now that people have entered the name of their location, you can now search on location names with a better hit rate if you use advanced search and limit the results to "users."
Thanks so much for contributing!