Suggestions for Ned.com
The Ned.com Five Minute Action Tool
I've been thinking about how ned.com is great for shooting the breeze, getting to know one another, reporting, documentation, even collaboration on shared documents from time to time. But there isn't a framework for actions yet, which is why I think we find ourselves 1) spread out across other "action" platforms and 2) without a "history" building tool to record actions.
So I've been thinking about a possible build that could help change this situation, if it seems sufficiently worthwhile to other members. Here's the idea:
- Within the "Groups" feature of ned.com, create an "Actions" tab that reads alongside "home," "discussions," workspace, etc.
- When clicked, the "action" tab bring the visitor to a "landing" page not unlike discussions, with the exception that I reads as "Actions":
- Top 5 actions
- Most recent actions
- There several options a visitor can consider/take:
- Browse "current" actions
- Browse "completed" actions
- Start and action
- Join an action
Purpose: Enable visitors and members alike to connect with, support and record member-initiated actions Like all ned.com "browse" tools, a simple way to get a high-level grasp of what's taking place around ned.com.
- Actions in a group
- Actions in related groups
- Actions by members (with a way to browse members by number of actions/completed actions/current actions as well)
- All actions
Purpose: Enable members to create time-driven action campaigns to which they can recruit internal (ned.com) and external (facebook etc) support to carry out some activity.
- Create site-wide visibility and some action
- Categorize the action by type (ie entrepreneurship, art, tech, human rights, etc), geography, need (donation, sign a petition, etc)
- Establish goals and targets ie number of members engaged, amount raised, etc
- Time sensitive ie beginning and end dates
- Build in links to a handful of simple, related tools, such as dropcash, pledgebank etc so that it is easy to support an action with external tools
- "Lock" mode (like "workspaces") so that basic description and parameters of the action can be enforced it has been initiated
- Recruitment tools, for example notify group members that a new action has been created
- Comment thread so that people who have joined the action can provide feedback, etc
- "Freeze" mode once action has been completed ie no more open comments, etc
Purpose: Enable ned.com members to become a part of and support clearly defined, trustworthy actions initiated by fellow members.
- "Join" the action and see basic data about the action ie number of members, who they are, etc
- "Support" the action by stating the nature and level of support members commit to
- "Rate" the action by level of enjoyment, etc derived from participation in the action
- Provide feedback via comment board on action experience
- Be rewarded with reputation points for joining the action and support by recruiting others etc
That's the basic idea - what do others think? For the programmers and technically savvy, does this seem doable within the existing ned.com framework?
Sign in or Join now to add your own comment.